I have been itching for a change for the longest time. I have never been satisfied with the look and feel of my website and blog but I just didn't know what to do. I was hesitant to join the legions of photographers that used ProPhoto because I felt it was so predictable and passe and I did not have the funds to go the route of paying for a customized website.
However, a couple of months ago I really took a hard look at Prophoto, viewing the videos on their website, and looking through countless websites of photographers that used their templates and I began to be won over. And about a month ago after working with the wonderful Amber Brien who designed a fabulous new logo for me I bit the bullet and purchased a ProPhoto template. I found that Prophoto had everything I was looking for:
- The ability to have everything contained in one website (a blog and portfolio site). I didn't want the overhead of two sites when one was sufficient especially if it allowed for a great user experience and effectively highlighted my work and who I am as a photographer. I was not thrilled with my current provider Bluadmin and their flash websites, especially after I saw that one of my good photog friends had the exact same template as me. Also their support left a lot to be desired. The turn around time was less than speedy.
- The ability to have it easily viewable on mobile devices.
- The ability to make simple galleries and slideshows. Prophoto has AWESOME capability to create beautiful galleries and slideshows within posts and it's EASY! I felt constrained in the number of photos I could include in a post with blogger. The process of posting was tedious and sometimes I just didn't have the energy. And with my style of photography really evolving into one that tells a story of your day I wanted the ability to show that it a comprehensive manner without restrictions.
- Something simple, clean, and streamlined that fit well with my new logo. I always felt like my current blog was too cluttered not neat or clean and inhibited the best display of my photos.
- Easy customization. Prophoto has some great templates to get you started and they are really easy to customize. In fact at first it was a little overwhelming because there was so many choices, however, since I wanted to keep it simple it never got to be frustrating.
- Good support documentation.
- More flexibility and control over my website. Since Prophoto is hosted through Wordpress I would now have access to all the functionality and plug ins from wordpress.
After installing it and doing a couple of posts I noticed that my photos looked a TON better on the Prophoto website versus blogger which got me even more excited.
I will admit that I am still in the process of posting some more galleries to the site but I am ready to shed these old clothes and enter the new year with a fresh new look.
So to go to the new site please update your links to